Hey guys! Today I’ll show you how to get a gorgeous smokey eye with just eyeliner! This tutorial is inspired by Michelle Phan’s Twilight Noir video, and would make a great Christmas party look!
What You’ll Need (The Basics)
1. A creamy kohl-style eyeliner in any dark color. (I used black)
2. A red lipstick, tint or lipliner. (Make sure the color you pick suits your tone) Don’t know your tone? What color jewelry do you look best in? If you look best in gold, you are warm toned! If you look best in silver, you are cool toned! Can’t tell, or you look equally good in both? Congrats! You are neutral toned like me, and can use any color!
Alrighty, lets start!
1. With a prepped face (primer, foundation, concealer), make a fishy face and apply bronzer to the hollows of your cheekbones, your temples, and under your chin. Using the bronzer makes your face appear slimmer and brings warmth to your face. Click here for a handy little contouring guide~
2. With a highlighting powder or cream, apply across your cheekbones, on your cupid’s bow, and on the tip of your nose. Highlighting these areas of the face brings them out whist giving them a dewy and youthful glow. Don’t have a highlighter? Just use a white or cream colored eyeshadow, it works just the same!
3. Now onto the eyes…
Prime your eyelids! This is the most important step, because without priming, your makeup will smudge and not last long :(. Next with your eyeliner, draw a heavy line with the end winged out. Don’t worry about being messy, this is just the basis for your smokey eye.
I’m using Estee Lauder’s Pure Color eyeliner in Blackened Black. It blends very easily, but doesn’t go all over the place.
Here’s just a line, and then next is the smudged out line. Notice how you can still see the original line as it hazes out.
Ok, after you’ve created that line, take a small detail brush and smudge the heck out of it! Soften the line while bringing color into the crease of your eye to complete the “smokey effect”. Work quickly though; some eyeliners wont budge after about a minute! After you’ve smudged to your heart’s content, line your water line with the same eyeliner. Now you can highlight the inner corners of your eyes and the center of your eyelids with a warm color. I used first a lilac eyeliner and blended it out a bit, then went over the lilac color with a shimmery white eyeliner for more sparkle.
When that’s done, curl your lashes and apply a volumizing mascara!
4. With great red lips comes great responsibility! Before you apply any color, dab some foundation or bb cream on your lips. This will give the color something to grip onto, so it wont budge later. Now you can apply your red lip color. I used Be A Bombshell’s lip crayon in Hot Damn! (What a fun name right?) I got it from Ipsy’s November box. Click here for my review of Ipsy!
Next with a foundation brush, carefully apply some concealer around your lips to create a crisp line. Blend out.
Now that your 5-min look is complete, go have some fun! I’ll be going to lots of parties this season, what are you guys gonna do? Leave me a comment with your plans!
Follow me on Insta! @clairedelune1113 or @Claires_Beauty 🙂